Palak (spinach) and paneer (tofu) is a healthy and delicious entree that is all time favorite. If you are a spinach and paneer/tofu lover and craving it in WFPBNO style, then you will definitely enjoy the recipe. This recipe is very simple to make also. I enjoy this recipe with whole wheat naan, roti and brown rice.
4-5 cups fresh spinach; washed, blanched, puréed
2 green cardamom
Cinnamon Stick (approx 1 cm)
1/2 tsp cumin seeds
1 medium white onion; chopped
2 small Roma tomatoes; chopped
1 Serrano pepper (optional)
1 tsp sea salt (adjust to taste)
1/2 tsp Garam Masala
1/4 tsp red chili powder (adjust to taste)
1 tsp coriander powder
2/3 cup of water
3/4 firm tofu brick; pressed; cubed
1 tsp fresh Ginger; grated or finely chopped
3 fresh Garlic cloves; finely chopped
3 tbsp cashew cream
1 tbsp of crumbled tofu
3 red or white onion rings
- Take a skillet and place on medium heat. Pan sear tofu to light brown color from all the sides. Once tofu is lightly brown keep them aside.
- Take a medium size saucepan. Place it on a medium heat.
- Put spinach leaves and stir them until blanch (spinach will look mushy and reduce in quantity)
- Turn off the heat and let the spinach cool down.
- In the blender, take the cooled down spinach and blend it into spinach purée. Spinach will look like a green smooth paste.
- Empty the spinach purée in a small bowl.
- Use the same sauce pan. Place the saucepan on a medium heat.
- Add cardamoms, Cloves, cinnamon and cumin seeds. Stir them for 1-2 mins until you smell the nice aroma coming from the spices.
- Add chopped onions.. Sauté until onions turn translucent.
- Add tomatoes, ginger, garlic and serrano pepper to the onions. Stir them till tomatoes look mushy.
- Turn the heat off and let it cool down for 5-7 mins before putting them in the blender.
- In the blender, put tomatoes and onions. Blend to make a purée.
- Use the same saucepan and place it on a medium heat. Put the onion and tomato purée and stir for 1 min
- Add garam masala, red chili powder (to taste) and coriander powder and mix well. Stir until the puree thickens.
- Add spinach puree with 2/3 cup of water. Stir well. Cover the lid because spinach splatters.
- Add tofu and mix well
- Place on simmer for 3-5 mins.
- Add cashew cream and mix it well with spinach and tofu.
- Cover the lid of the saucepan for 2 mins.
- Turn off the heat.
- Garnish with onions and crumbled tofu.
- Enjoy with whole wheat naan, roti or brown rice.