Serving Size: 5 pieces
- 3/4 cup plain almond milk; warmed
- 1 packet active yeast
- 1 tbsp of maple syrup
- 3 tbsp of dairy free yogurt (soy yogurt used in recipe)
- 1 cup of whole wheat flour (1/4 cup for dusting)
- 1/2 cup spelt flour
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp sea salt (to taste)
- 2 tbsp fresh cilantro; finely chopped
- 4 garlic cloves; grated or finely chopped
- Warm(not more than 110 C) the almond milk and place it in a bowl. Add the active yeast and maple syrup to the warm milk and mix well. Keep it aside for 10 mins.
- In a mixing bowl, add the wheat flour, spelt flour, baking powder, and salt. Mix them well.
- Notice the yeast mixture to have bubbles or foaming. Add dairy-free yogurt and stir to combine.
- Add yeast mixture in the mixing bowl with the flour mix.
- Mix the ingredients well. Knead the mixture into a dough ball (If the dough gets sticky, dust little flour and continue kneading).
- Cover the bowl with a plastic wrap and leave it aside for 2 hours at room temperature. The dough will expand.
- Remove the dough from the bowl. If the dough is sticky turn on to a floured surface and knead for 30 secs.
- Take a piece of dough and roll on the palm of your hands into a small ball. Flatten the ball slightly. (Mine w3-inchnch puck size). Place the dough balls aside for 5mins.
- Take a skillet (preferably heavy skillet) and place on medium heat.
- Dust a plain flat surface with a pinch of whole wheat flour. Take one dough ball at a time and using a rolling pin, roll the dough ball into a oval or circle. Flip the dough ball after every roll to avoid sticking to the flat surface.
- Using your hand or a basting brush, apply a thin layer of water to the rolled dough balls.
- (You can roll all the dough balls and then cook or cook while rolling them)
- Place the wet rolled dough ball side on the heated pan. (Take a small portion of garlic and cilantro to spread over the top surface of the naan)
- Once you see big bubbles on the top uncooked side, it is time to flip the naan.
- Cook evenly both sides.
- Cut in half and enjoy with your favorite dish.