Normally, in Indian households, you would see more of savory breakfast over sweet breakfast. As long as I can remember, either my grandmother or my mother would make these savory crepes by creating a batter of chickpea flour only and no vegetables. Not to forget the oil that went with it.
When I started cooking these crepes, I always wanted to make them healthy by adding vegetables and oat flour to the mix. To my surprise, I served them to my kids and they liked it too. I whip these whenever I am not in the mood of cooking a big breakfast or lunch and it also helps me clean out vegetables out of my fridge.
Makes 10 Crepes/Cheelas
1 cup white onion; finely chopped
1 cup zucchini; grated
1 cup fresh spinach; finely chopped
3/4 cup Oat flour
1 cup Chickpea flour
1 tsp turmeric powder
1 tsp Garam Masala
1/2 tsp red chili powder (adjust to taste)
1 tsp sea salt (adjust to taste)
1 tsp ginger powder (fresh ginger can be used too)
1 cup water
Preparation (Youtube – https://youtu.be/dTe9uUpB7QA)
- Take a big mixing bowl, put oat flour, chickpea flour, spinach, zucchini, and onion. Whisk them.
- Mix turmeric powder, Garam Masala, red chili powder, salt, ginger powder. Add water in small quantities/slowly until the batter has a smooth texture, like pancake batter.
- Cover it with the plastic wrap or cling wrap and place it aside
- Place a flat skillet on medium heat. Once the skillet is hot, pour approx. 3 tbsp of batter on the skillet. Spread the batter evenly with the help of spoon in a circular motion.
- Cheela or crepe will look dry on the top. It means its time to flip.
- Flip each side every 2 mins. Until cheela or crepe looks crisp or cooked, however you desire.
- Enjoy with green chutney , tomato green pepper chutney, green chili pickle or your favorite chutney.
3 thoughts on “Besan Oats Cheela/Chickpea and Oat flour Savory Crepes”
Thank you for preparing all these wonderful recipes!
May I suggest adding a “print” option to your site so just the recipe can be printed and not the entire page?
Thank you Jane for your feedback. Let me look into adding that as an option.
Hi Jane – We just added the capability. Let me know your thoughts.