Serves: 2-3 Servings (using 4-5 Papdis each)
1/2 cup whole wheat flour
1/3 cup Spelt Flour
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/4 cup warm water
1/2 potato; boiled, small cubes (or small size of potato)
1/2 can garbanzo beans; drained, washed
1/2dairy-free free yogurt ( silk dairy-free yogurt used in the recipe )
3 tbs green chutney
4 tbs date chutney
1/4 tsp sea salt (adjust to taste)
1/4 cumin powder
1/4 red chili powder
4 tbsp red onion; finely chopped
2 tbsp fresh cilantro leaves; finely chopped
1 serrano pepper; finely chopped (optional)
Dough and Baking
1. Take a medium size bowl. Add wheat flour, Spelt Flour and baking powder. Whisk them together.
2. Slowly add warm water and knead/mix to make dough. (I used approx 1/4 cup water but may vary based flour)
3. Cover the dough with wet cloth.
4. PreHeat the oven at 400 degrees.
5. Take a very small piece of dough. (Approx size of US Quarter Coin) Make a small ball with the help of palms.
6. Flatten the ball on the flat surface. With the help of roller pin roll the ball to make a thin circle.
7. Take a baking tray. Lay the parchment paper.
8. Put the rolled papdi’s ( rolled dough)on the baking tray.
9. Make 2-3 slits with knife in all the papdi’s so they don’t rise in the oven.
10. Once the oven is heated, place the baking tray inside the oven.
11. After 4 mins flip papdi’s.
12. Flip until they turn light brown from both the sides.
13. Take the baking tray out from the oven after papdis are baked from both the sides (papdi will look crisp but they will soften after dipping them in yogurt). Turn off the oven
14. Let the papdis cool down.
Toppings for papdi chaat
1. Whisk the yogurt in a small bowl (add 3 tbsp of water).
2. Dip 4 or 5 papdis from both side in the yogurt.
3. Take a medium size plate or a serve ware. Start laying dipped papdis in the yogurt one by one on the plate.
4. Sprinkle potato cubes and garbanzo beans on the papdis.
5. Drizzle yogurt, date chutney and green chutney.
6. Sprinkle salt,cumin powder and red chili powder.
7. Sprinkle onions, cilantro leaves and Serrano pepper
8. Enjoy the yummy papdi chaat
* you can add more chutneys or yogurt to your chaat according to your taste.
* You can add extra chickpeas/garbanzo beans and potatoes according to your taste.