Matar Mushroom or Mushroom with Peas is a semi-dry delicious dish with flavor bursting Indian spices. Mushrooms are a great source of protein and fibre along with a source of Vitamin B and Antioxidants. Peas on the other hand are a low calorie vegetable with plenty of antioxidants.
1 medium onion; chopped
2 Roma tomatoes; chopped
1 tbsp ginger; chopped
1 tsp garlic; chopped
8oz. whole white mushroom; washed and sliced
1 cup frozen peas; thawed
1 tsp cumin seeds
1/2 tsp turmeric powder
1/4 red chili powder (adjust to taste)
1/2 tsp Garam Masala
1 tsp sea salt (adjust to taste)
1 tbsp coriander powder
1/2 tsp Kashmiri red chili powder (optional)
1/2 cup raw cashews
5 tbsp almond milk, cashew milk or water (optional)
1. Heat a saucepan on a medium heat.
2. Put cumin seeds. Stir the cumin seeds until light brown in color.
3. Add onions to the saucepan. Stir them until translucent. Add 2-4 tbsp of water if sticking.
4. Add tomatoes, ginger, garlic, and salt(adjust to taste). Sauté until tomatoes look soft.
5. Add turmeric powder, red chili powder, garam masala, coriander powder, and cashews to onions and tomatoes in the saucepan. Stir for 3 mins.
6. Turn off the heat under the saucepan. Let the ingredients of saucepan cool down.
7. Take a blender. Put all the ingredients from the saucepan into the blender and purée.
8. Heat the same saucepan to medium heat used in step 1.
9. Add the blended purée. Stir for 4-5 mins.
10. Add Kashmiri red chili to the purée. This provides color but is not necessary. Stir for 1 minute.
11. Add 4-5 tbsp of almond milk or water. Mix and stir for 1-2 mins
12. Add mushrooms and peas to the purée. Mix them well.
13. Add 1/2 cup water to the vegetables. Mix mushroom, peas and water.
14. Cover saucepan with the lid.
15. Keep stirring after every 3-4 mins until mushrooms are done.
16. Serve Matar (peas) mushroom with Roti, whole wheat naan and brown rice or you can make a sandwich.