2 green cardamom
1 small piece cinnamon stick; 1 cm approx.
1 white onion; chopped
2 roma tomatoes; chopped
1 tbsp fresh ginger; chopped
3 garlic cloves; chopped
1 tsp cumin seeds
1 tsp turmeric powder
1/2 tsp Garam Masala
1/4 tsp red chili powder
1/2 tsp sea salt
1/2 tbsp coriander powder
3/4 cup water
1/2 tsp maple syrup
1/2 firm tofu; drained, pressed; cubed (* I use this Tofu Press)
2 tbsp tofu; grated
2 tbsp fresh cilantro leaves; finely chopped
2 red or white onion rings
1 tsp Cashew cream
- Place the saucepan on low heat.
- Add cumin seeds, cloves, cinnamon stick. Stir until cumin seeds turn light brown.
- Add onions, ginger, and garlic to the saucepan with 3 tbsp of water. Stir onions until they turn translucent (add extra 3 tbsp of water to the onions if sticking).
- Take another small saucepan and put on medium heat. Add tomatoes and add 3 tbsp water. Stir tomatoes until they get soft and mushy ( add 2 tbsp water if needed)
- Turn off heat under the saucepan with onions if they are translucent. Let them cool
- Turn off the heat under the saucepan with tomatoes if they are mushy. Let them cool
- Put the cooked onions in the blender. Turn into a paste. Empty the blender and keep the onion paste on the side.
- Put tomatoes in the blender. Blend them to make a purée
- Use the same pan used in step 1. Heat the saucepan on low heat.
- Pour the onion paste in the sauce pan. Stir onions for 4-6 mins on a low heat. The water/moisture should dry out.
- Add puréed tomatoes to the onion paste in the saucepan. Stir them for 2-4 mins
- Add turmeric powder, garam masala, red chili powder, salt and coriander powder to onion and tomato paste (making gravy). Stir for 5-7 mins.
- Add 2 tbsp of cashew cream to gravy in the saucepan. Stir them well for 2 mins.
- Add 2/3 cup of water to the gravy. Mix it well. Cook for 5 mins on low heat.
- Add tofu to the gravy. Gently stir them to avoid breaking of tofu cubes.
- Add 4 tbsp of cashew cream. Mix it well with with tofu and gravy.
- Cover with lid of the sauce pan on low heat for 5-7 mins
- Garnish and serve hot with whole wheat naan, roti or brown rice.