Upma is a dish originating from the India, most common in South Indian states. Mostly made as a breakfast; cooked as a thick porridge from semolina or coarse rice flour. Various seasonings and/or vegetables are often added during the cooking, depending on individual and family tradition preferences. Today it is popular in most parts of India and is prepared in various ways.
I am sure I have created one of those variations in my experimentations. I had to experiment with cracked wheat and bulgur as I cannot use semolina. My family enjoys multiple variations. My son, who is 9, doesn’t prefer any vegetables but rest of my family enjoys the vegetables as part of the ingredients.
Cracked wheat (dalia)and bulgar upma is a great way to start your day. Its nutritious and healthy compared to semolina upma.
3/4 cup cracked wheat
1/4 cup bulgar
7-10 curry leaves
1 medium white onion; thinly sliced/chopped
1 cup frozen peas; thawed
1 Serrano pepper; chopped (optional)
1/4 Garam Masala
1/4 tsp red chili powder (adjust to taste)
1 tsp sea salt (adjust to taste)
2 tbsp lemon juice
1. Take medium size saucepan and place on medium heat.
2. Dry roast cracked wheat and bulgar together in the saucepan for 7 mins. Turn off the heat under the saucepan. Empty the roasted cracked wheat and bulgar in the bowl.
3. Take medium size saucepan and place on medium heat. Pour 3 cups of water in the saucepan. Bring water to boil. Add cracked wheat and bulgar to the boiling water.
4. Once the cracked wheat and bulgar are boiled(soft), turned off the heat and drain the contents in a fine colander to the drain the water out of the cracked wheat and bulgur.
5. Use the same saucepan (used for boiling). Place the saucepan on medium heat.
6. Once the saucepan is heated, add curry leaves. Stir for 1 min.
7. Add onions to the curry leaves. Stir until onions turn light golden brown in color.
8. Add peas to the onions. Stir for 2-3 mins together.
9. Add Garam Masala, red chili powder(adjust to taste), and salt. Stir for another 2-3 mins.
10. Add the boiled cracked wheat and bulgar to onions and peas in the saucepan. Mix all the ingredients well.
11. Add Serrano pepper and lemon juice. Mix well.
12. Cover the saucepan with the lid for 3-4 mins.
13. Serve it hot.