The Festival of Lights
Happy Diwali!! Diwali is the festival of lights. On this special day, we clean our homes and cook a lot of traditional food. In the evening, we light dias (small candles), say our prayers to Laxmi in new clothes, and light sparklers. After these activities, the whole family gets together to eat.
Like any tradition or festival in the world, dessert at the end of meal is as significantly important as anything else in the meal. This lifestyle has surely encouraged the creative side of us so I thought is making Makhana Kheer or Lotus Seed Pudding. The seed is mostly available in Indian Stores and is rich in Protein, B Vitamins and dietary minerals.
2.5 cups Makhana (Lotus Seeds – https://amzn.to/2JE4adh)
3 cups soy milk (Unsweetened, No Flavor)
6 tbsp Date Paste (adjust to taste)
1/4 tsp saffron
4 almonds; lengthwise cut
Ingredients – Date Paste
8-10 Pitted Dates
1/2 Cup Warm Water
Preparation – Date Paste
1. Take the dates and soak them for 45 in warm water
2. Using a high powered blender, blend the dates with water to create a paste.
1. Take a skillet and place on low heat.
2. Dry roast the Makhanas (it usually takes 4-6mins). Turn off the heat under the skillet.
3. Take a medium-size saucepan. Pour the milk in the saucepan and boil milk on medium heat. Carefully monitor the saucepan to avoid burning the milk.
4. Once the milk is boiled, add roasted makhanas to the milk. Stir for 3-5 mins.
5. Add date paste to milk and makhanas in the saucepan for the sweetness. Stir for 3-5 mins.
6. Mix saffron to the kheer in the saucepan.
7. Garnish kheer with almonds before serving.
8. Enjoy Makhana kheer hot, warm, cold or on room temperature.
2 thoughts on “Makhana Kheer Pudding”
Hello! I know this is somewhat off topic but I was
wondering which blog platform are you using for this site?
I’m getting tired of WordPress because I’ve had problems with hackers
and I’m looking at alternatives for another platform.
I would be fantastic if you could point me in the direction of a good platform.
I am using wordpress