1 cup uncooked yellow lentils (rinse thoroughly and soak 1 1/2 cup of water for 1 hour with 1/4 tsp of turmeric)
1 tsp cumin seeds
1/4 tsp asafetida (optional)
1/2 small white onion; finely chopped
1 tsp fresh ginger
1 tsp grated garlic
1/2 cup tomato finely chopped
1/4 tsp turmeric powder
1/4 tsp Garam masala
1 tsp sea salt (adjust to taste)
1/4 tsp red chili powder (adjust to taste)
1 tbsp lemon juice
- Cook Lentils in Pressure Cooker (3-4 whistles of pressure cooker are good). You can also use Instant Pot to cook the lentils. If lentils are cooked, the texture is mushy.
- Take a medium saucepan and put it on medium heat.
- Add cumin seeds and asafetida. Mix well and stir until they turn light brown.
- Add onion, ginger, and garlic to the saucepan. Stir them together until onion turns light brown. (If onions are sticking to the saucepan, add 2 tbsp of water and stir them.)
- Add tomatoes, turmeric powder, garam masala, salt, and red chili powder. Mix all the ingredients well. (Add 2-3 tbsp of water to the saucepan if onions and tomatoes are sticking.) Cover the lid and simmer for 5 mins.
- Stir until mixture turns into a paste.
- Add cooked lentils to the saucepan and mix together. If the lentils are too thick, add 1 cup of water. Cover the lid and the lentils simmer for 5 mins.
- Add lemon juice and mix well.
- Garnish with cilantro. Cover the lid.
- Serve lentils warm with brown rice, roti or just enjoy them as a soup
- if you are planning to eat lentils later and they look thick to you start adding water slowly depending on the consistency you and your family enjoys
One thought on “Yellow Lentils/Arhar Dal/Dal Fry”