1 cup uncooked yellow lentils (rinse thoroughly and soak 1 1/2 cup of water for 1 hour with 1/4 tsp of turmeric)
1 tsp cumin seeds
1/4 tsp asafetida (optional)
1/2 small white onion; finely chopped
1 tsp fresh ginger
1 tsp grated garlic
1/2 cup tomato finely chopped
1/4 tsp turmeric powder
1/4 tsp Garam masala
1 tsp sea salt (adjust to taste)
1/4 tsp red chili powder (adjust to taste)
1 tbsp lemon juice
- Cook Lentils in Pressure Cooker (3-4 whistles of pressure cooker are good). You can also use Instant Pot to cook the lentils. If lentils are cooked, the texture is mushy.
- Take a medium saucepan and put it on medium heat.
- Add cumin seeds and asafetida. Mix well and stir until they turn light brown.
- Add onion, ginger, and garlic to the saucepan. Stir them together until onion turns light brown. (If onions are sticking to the saucepan, add 2 tbsp of water and stir them.)
- Add tomatoes, turmeric powder, garam masala, salt, and red chili powder. Mix all the ingredients well. (Add 2-3 tbsp of water to the saucepan if onions and tomatoes are sticking.) Cover the lid and simmer for 5 mins.
- Stir until mixture turns into a paste.
- Add cooked lentils to the saucepan and mix together. If the lentils are too thick, add 1 cup of water. Cover the lid and the lentils simmer for 5 mins.
- Add lemon juice and mix well.
- Garnish with cilantro. Cover the lid.
- Serve lentils warm with brown rice, roti or just enjoy them as a soup
- if you are planning to eat lentils later and they look thick to you start adding water slowly depending on the consistency you and your family enjoys