Talk about comfort food. Yes, Rajma Masala or Red Kidney Beans Stew, cooked Indian style are considered comfort food in my household as well as many others. Rajma(red kidney beans) is an Indian dish made with gravy along with many Indian spices. Usually served with rice.
Rajma Masala is loved by most of the people in India and everyone has a different way of making them. My family never used to add garlic and onions. It was only cooked with ginger and tomatoes.
I have honestly enjoyed Rajma Masala after my wedding. My husband’s family makes Rajma Masala in a traditional way. The way it’s supposed to be, Punjabi Style, with a lot of ‘love’.
My kids love it too and I am happy serving them protein rich beans whenever they ask me to make it. Well I always make it extra (who doesn’t like the leftovers) and tastes even better when you reheat it.
1 large onion; finely chopped
2 medium Roma tomatoes; finely chopped
2 tbsp fresh ginger; grated
1 tbsp fresh garlic; grated
1 tsp Sea Salt (adjust according to taste)
1/2 tsp Garam Masala
1/2 tsp Red chili powder (adjust to taste)
1/4 tsp Turmeric powder
1/2 tsp Cumin seeds
1 tsp coriander powder
4 cups cooked/boiled red kidney beans
4 cups water (total)
1. Place a large saucepan on medium heat.
2. Add cumin seeds. Stir them until they turn light brown in color.
3. Add chopped onions. Sauté onions till they turn light brown in color (add 3-4 tbsp of water while stirring if onions are sticking to the pan)
4. Add tomatoes, ginger(only 1 tbsp), garlic and salt to the onions. Stir them till tomatoes look soft and mushy.
5. Add Garam Masala, red chili powder, turmeric powder and coriander powder. Mix spices well tomatoes and onions.
6. Stir onions and tomato paste for 5-7 mins. (notice water is evaporating and paste will look much more thick)
7. Add boiled red kidney beans to the saucepan with 3 cups of water. Stir well for few mins.
8. Cover the saucepan with the lid and let rajma (red kidney beans) cook for 5 mins.
9. Optional: If Rajma looks thick in consistency, add one more cup of water. Stir and cover with the lid for 5-7 mins.
10. Check and stir after every 5-7 mins for around 35 mins. (red kidney beans will look dark in color and slightly thick in consistency)
11. Turn off the heat under the saucepan.
12. Sprinkle the remaining grated ginger on the kidney beans – don’t stir just cover with the lid for 5 mins.
13. Stir and serve it hot with rice, roti or naan.