I learned this recipe from my mother-in-law in India (thank you, mom). She is a great cook but I had to alter her recipe because in India we use white flour for pasta/macaroni and a lot of oil while sautéing vegetables. So I thought to be a little experimental and comply close to my lifestyle. I used brown rice elbows and add extra vegetables to add volume but it also makes it more bright and colorful.
You can add any veggies of your choice or your kids choice. You can add more ketchup if you like according to your family taste. This is a great recipe for kids and adults at the same when you want a break from Indian food. Yes, even Indians need a break at times.
I always sprinkle crushed red chili pepper flakes and/or a dash of Tabasco on my macaroni or pasta. Enjoy this bright and colorful macaroni.
1 1/2 cup brown rice elbow pasta; uncooked
1/2 red onion; sliced lengthwise
1 cup broccoli florets
1 tbsp garlic; chopped (garlic powder can used)
1 carrot; peeled; chopped
2/3 cup green beans; chopped (cut off tips)
2/3 cup bell pepper;chopped
2/3 cup red pepper;chopped
1 1/2 tbsp liquid amino
4 tbsp tomato ketchup ( I used FoK Ketchup but you can use tomato ketchup of your choice)
*boil pasta and keep it aside according to instruction on the package
1. Place a medium size saucepan on a low heat.
2. Add onions to the saucepan. Sauté the onions until they become translucent (add water to onions if sticking).
3. Add green beans, carrots and garlic with 3 tbsp of water to cook with onions. Cover the lid after adding water.
4. Add the green beans and carrots. It takes a little extra time to cook (I like my vegetables crunchy)
5. Add broccoli to the saucepan. Mix all the vegetables.
6. Cover the saucepan with lid for 3 mins to cook the broccoli.
7. Add green bell pepper to the pan. Stir all the vegetables for 1 min.
8. Add liquid aminos to the saucepan and stir/mix well to the vegetable for 2-3 mins.
9. Add cooked pasta to the vegetables. Mix gently (you don’t want to ruin the shape of pasta and make it mushy)
10. Add ketchup. Mix pasta and vegetables.
11. Gently stir for 2-3 minutes. Serve it hot.