A simple recipe from the Indian Kitchen but not traditional like Masala Bhindi is this Crispy Baked Okra. Okra aka Bhindi is a summer regular on the Indian kitchen table. Okra being a universal vegetable is turning favorite for everyone around the world.
Okra is also tricky at times when preparing. First, there is a trick to picking the Okra from your fresh market or store. Please try to pick tender or baby okra as it cooks and tastes better. The other tip is please wash the Okra and wipe it dry. This avoids the extra sticky residue while you cut the okra.
After making this awesome recipe, I enjoyed this as a topping over brown rice.
- 4 cups Okra (Bhindi); sliced circle
- 1 large white onion; finely chopped
- 1 tbsp Ginger; chopped
- 1/4 tsp Hing (Asafoetida)
- 1 tsp Turmeric Powder
- 1/2 tsp Garam masala
- 1/2 tsp chili powder
- 1 tbsp coriander powder
- 1/2 tsp fennel seed powder
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
1/2 tsp Sea Salt (adjust to taste)
1. Preheat oven at 375 F.
2. Take a large mixing bowl and add all ingredients. Mix well.
3. Take a baking tray and layer parchment paper.
4. Spread the Okra mix uniformly on the baking tray.
5. Place the baking tray inside the oven for 30mins.
6. After 30mins, using a flat spatula toss and/or flip the okra to cook from both sides. Place the tray back for another 30mins or more according to your desired crispness.
7. Enjoy with roti, naan, a side or a topping over cooked brown rice or quinoa.