1 1/2 cup yogurt (soy unsweetened yogurt is used or use any other plant-based unsweetened plain yogurt )
1/2 cup cold water
1/2 cup cucumber;chopped,small thin cubes
1/3 cup tomatoes;finely chopped
1/3 cup red onion;finely chopped
1/2 crushed red chili flakes
1 tbsp sea salt (adjust to taste)
1/2 tsp roasted cumin seed powder (cumin powder can be used)
1. Take a medium size serve bowl. Put yogurt and water. Whisk them together.
2. Add cucumbers,tomatoes and onion. Mix them well.
3. Add red chili pepper flakes, salt and cumin powder. Mix them well.
4. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap or with a lid.
5. Put it in the refrigerator until ready to serve.
6. Enjoy Raita/yogurt with any of your favorite food or just by itself as a snack.
* if you don’t have roasted cumin powder you can make it at home. It’s very simple to make. Take a 1 tsp of cumin seed. Stir them on a heated pan. You will start sensing the aroma coming out from the cumin seeds or notice cumin seeds are turning light brown in color. Turn off the heat under the pan. Transfer the cumin seeds in a small bowl so they don’t burn with the heat of pan. Once cumin seeds are cool down grind them. Roasted cumin powder is ready.