One can’t stay away from desserts for a very long (for sure my husband cannot).
Well, we should not stay away from food. As we learned that Food is Medicine if cooked the right way.
Fall is upon us in the midwest and the chilly fall nights remind of my time in India. My mom would warm up the Gajar Halwa after dinner and that would be perfect for the day. The cold winter temperatures, we need something warm and sweet (believe me I do). So I thought to surprise my hubby with his all time favorite gajar halwa. It’s been a while for him to taste this dessert in a healthy way. I hope he likes it. I hope you all like it too.
In India we make with ghee and refined sugars.
3 medium carrots; peeled; grated
1 1/2 cup almond milk; unsweetened; no flavor;
1/4 tsp saffron
4 tsp cashew cream
4 tbsp maple syrup
1/2 tsp coconut powder
1 white cardamom;crushed
1. Take a small size saucepan and place on medium heat.
2. Add milk and bring it boil milk (keep an eye so it doesn’t come out from saucepan and burn)
3. Add grated carrots.
4. Cook the grated carrots until the milk evaporates. (see pictures)
5. Add 2-3 strands of saffron to the carrots. Mix it well.
6. Add cashew cream to the saucepan. Mix carrots and cashew cream well for 3-4 mins.
7. Add the maple syrup to the carrots. Mix well for another 3-4 minutes, stirring regularly.
8. Stir Gajar Halwa for 7-8 mins of low heat.
9. Garnish with cardamom, coconut powder, sliced almonds and saffron.
10. Enjoy Gajar Halwa warm or cold it’s delicious