I grew up in Northern parts of India, close to New Delhi. I did grow up mainly eating lentils, vegetables, rice, naan etc. Like in any country, cuisine is different in different parts of the country. So whenever we went out to eat, we looked for restaurant which served South Indian cuisine like dosas, idlis, rasam etc. I can eat South Indian Food anytime. My husband went to college in South India and he could eat that everyday and anytime. A lot of metro cities India also enjoy the variety cuisine from Mexico, China, Taiwan etc as well.
As I understand about South Indian food, if you get the Sambhar and Chutney, you are more than half way there. During this journey I plan to adventure to not only other part of the world but also other parts of India. I plan to start to South India and my favorite Coconut Chutney.
1/2 cup almond milk yogurt
1/3 cup coconut powder
1/4 tsp sea salt (adjust to taste)
1 tbsp lemon juice (adjust to taste)
1 Serrano pepper
1/4 tsp mustard seeds (optional)
1 dried whole red pepper (optional)
2 curry leaves (optional)
1. In a blender jar add yogurt,coconut powder,salt,lemon juice and Serrano pepper together.
2. Blend all the ingredients to make chutney,
3. Add 1-2 tbsp of water if chutney is too thick.
4. Empty chutney in a small bowl.
5. Take a small sauce pan. Put on a medium heat.
6. Once the saucepan is heated add mustard seeds, 1 dried whole red pepper and curry leaves. Stir for 2 mins.
7. Pour the mix of mustard seeds,red pepper and curry leaves over the chutney.
8. Enjoy this quick chutney with idli, dosa, vada or any favorite food.