One of the fondest memories growing up in a large family for me, back in India, was when the women of the house got together to make pickles like carrots/radish/cauliflower(coming soon), mango, green chili etc. It’s like looking at the modern assembly line where one station was responsible for cutting the vegetables or fruits, the other would be mixing the spices in oil and the final was the bottling station. Especially in Summer when raw mangoes are in season in India, it was definitely a big planned social event. The raw mangoes came in a large volume of crates that should sustain the full year, and the supply also went to neighbors and other extended families. Mango pickle is the king of pickles in India.
The fun part for the kids was absorbing the aroma and tasting from station to station. You could eat the pickle with anything and at anytime. If you didn’t have chutneys, or dips or even entrees ready with bread or rice, the pickle always comes to the rescue. As I started adapting to this lifestyle, the mango pickle was on top of my list to try perfect as I was not ready to give that up. I am glad I found an alternative.
2 Raw green mango; washed and dried
1/2 tsp mustard seeds; crushed
1 1/2 tsp salt (adjust to taste)
1/2 tsp fenugreek seed; crushed
1/2 tsp kalonji or Nigella Seed
1 tbsp fennel seeds; crushed
1/4 tsp asafoetida
1/2 tsp red chili powder
1/4 Kashmiri red chili powder (This is milder and adds more color)
1 tsp turmeric powder
1 tsp Apple cider vinegar
1. Cut raw mangoes(cubes) carefully with a knife. The raw mangoes due to shape and hardness require a little more care.
2. Take a medium-size bowl and add the cut mangoes. Add mustard seeds, salt, fenugreek seeds, kalonji, fennel seeds, asafoetida, red chili powder, Kashmiri red chili powder, and turmeric powder. Mix them well.
3. Add 1 tsp of apple cider vinegar to the mango pickle and mix it well.
4. Transfer the pickle to a jar. Close the lid.
5. Keep the pickle on the kitchen countertop for 3 days so the mangoes absorb all the flavors. Please make sure you are mixing the pickle with a spoon from the bottom of the jar.
6. Enjoy your pickle with any of your favorite food.